Focus-4-1 is an independent adult mental health service user led group. During my journey I have realised the best people to know what they need is the service users themselves. By turning the current approach on its head I believe this approach will give every service user a voice and help empower each other….themselves and other people.
As we all know the best way of learning is sharing our experience and our approach with each other understanding emphasising . We are putting Service users at the centre not at the edge. Each 1 of us service users are not a Service user first, we were not born Service Users therefore we all have internal resources we can pull on to help each other.
Focus 4 1 service users are a majority stakeholder and its mandate is set by us service users.
What we do
Focus 4 1 offers weekly support for Adults experiencing mental health problems or distress and a support line. Weekly sessions are structure and planned to incorporate life skills to help manage mental health problems, and survival with a constraint ability and budget.
- Weekly Meals prepared by the group members that are low calories and low budget
- Weekly weigh in for those trying to reduce their weight.
- Weekly Relaxation and meditation sessions to help deal with stress and anxiety
- Weekly presentation on a well-being topic with a group discussion
- Weekly opportunities for members to share their skills and lived experience with the group through a presentation or activity. This could include exercise, jewellery making, poetry and rap, art and crafts, smoothie making, life experience sharing. Members are offered 1:1 training for completion of a presentation and support with facilitating.
- Weekly updates about activities in the community
- Focus 4 1 creates opportunities for members to engage with third party organisations and give feedback on their experiences with the South West London and St Georges NHS Mental Health Trust (SWLSTG). Focus 4 1 as an organisation has become a pivotal meeting point for SWLSTG to engagement with its service users. This has led to improved provision of mental health services, ward facilities, treatment on the ward and after care with the Home treatment team.
- A support line for members who are unable to obtain help through other means. The support line signpost to the most relevant service.
I am a survivor of Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, caused by multiple, severe sexual violence acts by those I know. This journey has been hell and I still have a long way to go. I have always been seen by family and close friends as strong, don’t take no…
Another day, another race, racing against time, time on my side, with no time to spare… That constant digging; digging at my physic, at every perceivable angle, untold amount of times… Not trying to come across all knowing, but as the many times I succumbed to my emptiness, the more…